Saturday, February 11, 2012

Enjoying Venice Beach



I could watch the guys (that's all I saw today) at the Venice Skateboard Plaza all day, but it was breezy today so we went over to board walk to mingle with the flow of tourists and locals.




I ran down to the beach yesterday morning hoping to see some of the big waves that were predicted.  They were bigger and rougher than normal, but not huge.  Maybe 5 or 6 feet.





This fisherman was all decked out in what liked new gear.  As I left this spot to see the surfers better, I tried to talk to him, but it appeared he didn't speak English.










The pelicans were patrolling the beach side of the waves too. 


I watched the surfers for a while and got some video that was more surf than surfers.  So I decided to switch back to still.




How I wish I'd kept the video on. This guy zigged and zagged at the front of the crest from left to right and then just a bit after this shot the wave curled over him. He came out after that ride. He wasn't going to get anything better than that. He told me when he was in the curl he got a bit concerned because he didn't know how deep it w







We biked back this afternoon, but there was a pretty stiff breeze. Plenty of folks were taking advantage of it.






I only saw this guy with the surfboard walking the kite along the beach.  Didn't see him with it in the water.








For this picture, I took the camera off manual and used the built in beach setting.





And on this one I photo-shopped in a close-up of the sand.  This is looking north to the Santa Monica mountains. 

Then we biked over to the skate board plaza. This guy was really good, but I didn't catch him in the air.  I'm assuming not too many people bang their heads or they'd start requiring helmets.  Most (like the guy in the first picture above) weren't wearing them.


Then we joined the crowd on the Venice boardwalk.  This is a wall above the shops along the boardwalk. 































And if you need more than oxygen . . .










The doctor was in here.  Or at least this man in a white lab coat.







  Ice cream will do for this guy.

3 comments:

  1. It's been intermittently windy where I am. Big waves and sail boats. Some kites, but mostly soccer practice near me. One of my favorite things to see here is surfers riding their bikes and carrying their boards under their arm while riding to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The do the same with their surfboards while on skateboards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was too lazy to haul a surfboard to the beach - and they were much bigger then - so I stuck to body surfing. And primitive skateboarding on 2X4's with the front and back ends of a roller skate nailed to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.